Authorities of the Holy Child Hospital in Sekondi-Takoradi in a recent statement issued claim they have managed to stabilize students of the Archbishop Porter Girls Senior High School who fell ill after consuming some vegetables from an external vendor.
The Medical Superintendent of the Hospital, Dr. Sylvester Fameyeh cautioned students in boarding schools, in particular, to stick to meals cooked by the school to avoid any health troubles.
He argued that meals cooked in schools are usually done under some supervision and pose little or no health risk.
“We admitted about 60 students. They all came with complaints of diarrhoea and vomiting. From the history we took, they bought vegetable sauce that was stored in a refrigerator by one seller in the school. So the students who ate that vegetable sauce are those complaining. The situation has been curtailed; we have not recorded any casualty. All of them are stable.”
“My advice to these students is that they should check where they buy food and if possible, they should eat what the food from the school kitchen”, he added.
Information available indicates that the students were taken to the hospital on Thursday evening.
This is not the first time, suspected case of food poisoning has been recorded in the school.
In February 2010, about 200 students were hospitalized which forced school authorities to shut down the school temporarily.
At the time, the Food and Drugs Authority (FDA) took samples of the food and other food items in the school for laboratory tests.
Tap To Join Our WhatsApp Community